Replacing your storm door glass can add more value to your home and help ensure your family stays protected during heavy storm season. With so many glass replacement options out there and the high cost associated with home repair, how do you know if your glass actually needs to be replaced and who can you trust?
To start, you’ll want to determine whether you just need the glass replaced or the entire storm door itself. In either case, we’ve got you covered with a guide on how to determine when you need a storm door glass replacement and what steps you need to take to replace storm door glass in your Des Moines home successfully.
How to Determine If Your Home Needs A Storm Door Replacement
There is a checklist of five major items that can help you determine whether your Des Moines home needs a storm door replacement.
- The storm door does not open or close properly. This not only affects your utility bills, but it’s also highly unsafe. If it’s a daily challenge to get your door to open or close, it may be time for a replacement. Oftentimes, the harsh outside elements can make your door warped or bent, causing this issue.
- There are gaps between the storm door and its frame. This also impacts your energy efficiency, comfort and safety. Your best option is to replace the entire door. This can sometimes happen if your storm door isn’t professionally installed. It’s possible your door is the wrong size, causing gaps. Homeowners often believe storm doors are one-size-fits-all when DIYing. A close fit is not quite good enough, and it’s important you don’t bend or manipulate the screen to fit the frame.
- Bugs or debris are able to get into the home when the storm door is closed. One of the bonuses of a storm door is that you’re able to let in sunshine and breeze through the screen, but it can still keep out dirt and bugs. If your screen isn’t doing its job, it’s time for a replacement. The screen of a storm door can become damaged from long-term wear and tear, harsh weather, pets and more. Small holes in your screen may not seem like a big deal, but bugs and pests can surprisingly squeeze through them.
- The wind causes your door to shake or make extensive noise. Your storm door should be tight in place and fairly silent. If it’s not, it might be the wrong size or damaged from extensive use.
- If you see visible rotting, mold or decay on the door frame, it’s time to replace it. Mold and rot can lead to extensive and costly damage down the road. The earlier you solve it, the better.
Preparations for Storm Door Replacement
First, after going through the checklist above, determine if just the glass can be replaced or the entire door. Many homeowners don’t want to jump straight to replacing their storm doors if they don’t have to, and some storm doors can last for years after a good repair. If the repair costs start racking up dollar signs, it might just be smarter to replace the door.
It’s vital to take proper measurements to ensure the correct door or glass is ordered. If it’s too small, it can become warped or not fit at all. If it’s too big, it can let in drafts, bugs or pests. You’ll want to find a reliable contractor in your local area to ensure the installation goes smoothly. We recommend getting a quote or two to compare price points.
After scheduling an appointment with a professional, you can begin to remove any storm door coverings and clear any installation area of furniture or belongings to ensure your contractor has ample space to work.
How to Select the Proper Storm Door For Your Home
With a variety of storm doors on the market, it can be challenging to find the perfect solution for your home. But you can break down the proper type into four main components: climate, size, budget and style. You truly can’t go wrong with a storm door solution so long as you and your family are happy and protected.
The type of door you choose to install will depend greatly on your budget, the aesthetic you want and the functionality of your home’s available opening. Analyze your budget and take your home’s current style into account, and be sure to prioritize the benefits that are important to you and your family.
Trust in King County Window & Glass For Your Storm Door Replacement in Des Moines, Washington
Repairing and replacing a storm door in Des Moines, WA can be a complicated process. With so many steps to take and a variety of options available, it can be overwhelming to do on your own. To ensure you choose a final product that lasts and keeps your home protected, trust your storm door glass replacement installation with our professionals at King County Window & Glass.
Don’t deal with the hassle of solving your problem yourself— our trusted team can help. All we need is a few rough measurements and a little information, and a new storm door will be on its way to you and your family in no time. We turn around expert quotes in as little as two business days.
Storm doors with glass present a unique set of problems. We’re here to help you solve them with our full-service sales and installation team. With a wide range of solutions available in the Des Moines area, let our team take care of you and your home’s needs — contact us today to get started!