Whether your windows are broken or just old and need an upgrade, home window replacement doesn’t need to be a complicated process. To make it as easy as possible, we’ve put together this easy-to-follow guide for navigating your home window replacement in Auburn, WA so you can be well on your way to enjoying a hike at Flaming Geyser State Park or relaxing with a cold one at Rail Hop’n Brewing Company.
We’ve got you covered in understanding when you need a window replacement or you can get by with a repair, how to prepare for your replacement, and everything you need to know when you start searching for a replacement solution.
How to Determine If You Need Home Window Replacement in Auburn, WA
There are a multitude of factors to consider when determining if your windows need to be replaced, but five issues stand out.
- Are your current windows energy efficient? If they aren’t, this could result in higher heating and cooling costs. An upgrade may be more expensive up front, but a replacement will pay dividends in the long run.
- Are your current windows damaged to the point that you are dealing with condensation or broken glass? This could lead to potentially injuring yourself, letting pests inside your home and allowing moisture to build up which can cause rot and mold (a costly problem to have in the future).
- Are you dealing with any noise issues? If your current windows have poor sound resistance, they could be letting in a lot of outside noise and have you dealing with poor insulation. If it’s impacting your ability to be comfortable in your own home or get a good night’s rest, a replacement may be worth it.
- Are you having any difficulty operating your windows? If your windows are jamming or sticking, it could be impacting your windows’ integrity.
- If you see any visible rotting, mold or decay on your window frames, it is absolutely vital to replace your windows and potentially do mold remediation before it impacts your home’s foundation.
Preparations for Window Replacement
Once you’ve determined you need a replacement, there are a few steps to take to properly prepare for the process.
- You should determine what windows in your home will be replaced. If it’s due to energy efficiency, you may want to replace all of them. If you just want to replace a broken window, it’ll be a shorter process.
- You need to ensure you have proper measurements. One of the most important aspects of window replacement is precise and accurate measurements. To do this, we recommend you find a reliable window replacement contractor in Auburn, WA who is trained in this process. Otherwise, you risk ordering windows that don’t fit in your home and will have to start the entire process over.
- Once you find a contractor (or a few), you can request a quote.
- After scheduling an appointment with a professional, you can begin to remove any window coverings and clear any installation area of furniture or belongings to ensure your contractor has ample space to work.
How to Select The Right Windows for Your Home Window Replacement
With a variety of windows on the market, it can be challenging to find the perfect set of windows for your home. But you can break down the proper type into four main components: material, size, budget and climate. You truly can’t go wrong with a window solution so long as you and your family are happy and protected.
Windows come in four main frame materials: wood, fiberglass, aluminum or vinyl. If you are replacing windows that are already made of wood, wood replacement is a popular choice. Fiberglass is going to be the most expensive material but is highly durable and long-lasting. Aluminum is likely the cheapest option, but it comes with durability problems over time. Vinyl is the most popular choice for homeowners due to its longevity, color versatility, availability and cost-effectiveness.
There are many different types of windows as well, from single-hung, double-hung, awning, sliding, picture, customized, bay & bow and more. Single-hung will almost always be your cheapest option, but it is not recommended if you are looking for energy efficiency benefits.
The type of window you choose will depend greatly on your budget, the aesthetic you’re looking for, and the functionality your home allows with space available for opening, closing and cleaning. Analyze your budget and what you can afford — prioritize the benefits that are important to you and your family.
In Auburn, Washington, we definitely recommend you prioritize energy efficiency. This makes the glass package you choose for your replacement incredibly important. We recommend low emissivity coatings, or low-E glass, because this product will ensure your home is retaining heat in the winter and reflecting away heat during the summer. If you want to save on heating and cooling costs, invest in low-E glass.
King County Window and Glass in Auburn, WA has a Solution For You
If you have determined it’s time to replace your windows, give our experts at King County Window & Glass a call. Whether you are trying to replace all your windows or just one, we have plenty of window options to choose from.
We can walk you through the entire process and make your window shopping experience a little less intimidating and more enjoyable. Window replacement doesn’t have to be a complicated process.