Windows are the soul of your home. They let in natural light, help you maintain a connection to your surrounding community and can add a touch of warmth to your home’s curb appeal. So when it’s time to replace old or broken windows, it can be quite the journey. And in a place like Tukwila, Washington, it’s important to take care of those problematic windows sooner rather than later — if not, you run the risk of more serious problems.
To help alleviate your stress, we’ve put together an easy-to-follow guide for navigating vinyl replacement windows in Tukwila. It features everything you need to know to prepare, along with tips and tricks to keep in mind as you move through the experience.
If your Tukwila windows are letting in drafts, holding onto moisture or even dealing with bigger issues like rot, mold or out-of-this-world utility bills, we’ve got you covered below.
Determining Whether You Need To Replace Your Windows
There are a few different determining factors that stand out when deciding whether your windows need to be replaced.
- Energy Use: Look at your current window model. Is it energy efficient? If they aren’t ENERGY STAR rated, you could be dealing with higher utility bills. An upgrade may be an investment, but it will pay dividends in the long run with lower heating and cooling costs.
- Broken Glass: If your current windows are damaged to the point of having broken glass, it’s time for an upgrade. Glass shards can lead to injury, pest problems and moisture build-up, which eventually leads to rot and mold.
- Noise Issues: Windows with poor sound resistance will let in a lot of outside noise. From lawnmowers and thunder to traffic and barking dogs, comfort is key. Noise issues often also mean poor insulation, which results in utility increases. If noise issues are leading to a bad night’s rest, a window replacement may be in your best interest.
- Difficult Use: Jammed or sticking windows lead to difficulty operating your windows. It can also impact your windows' integrity. For the utmost protection, jamming or sticking windows should be replaced.
- Condensation or Mold: With intense condensation build-up comes rotting, mold and decay. It is vital to replace windows where condensation, visible rotting, mold or frame decay are taking place. You may even need to do mold remediation or your home’s foundation could be in trouble.
With any of these issues, you should invest in vinyl replacement windows. Once you’ve made the decision to move forward with replacement, one of the most important steps to take is figuring out accurate sizing. Most window or glass manufacturers place identifying numbers on their handles, sash locks, spacer bar channels, window frames, hardware pieces or corners of their glass.
Can’t find any stamps, codes or numbers to help you identify your current model? Call a local window installation professional in Tukwila. They’ll help you determine your model.
What to Consider When Looking For Window Replacements
Five considerations should be top of mind when looking for window replacements in Tukwila.
- Sizing: Again, make sure you understand the size of your current window. Is it a standard-size window? Or, did you or the previous homeowner put in custom-sized windows? Accurate measurements ensure you don’t risk running into any problems with replacing your windows. If the measurements are off in the slightest, you may waste money or delay the entire installation process. If you aren’t sure, call in a professional.
- Glass: Determine whether you need to replace the glass or the entire window. If your only problem is broken glass, you may be able to get away with only replacing the glass. If so, lay a drop cloth in front of the broken window to protect yourself, your floors and any furniture around you. While waiting for replacement glass, you’ll want to board up your window for protection and insulation reasons. If there is damage to the frame or sash, you’ll need to replace the entire window.
- Frame Material: Depending on which material you choose, your final price will change. Different materials have different levels of maintenance - vinyl, fiberglass and aluminum all require less maintenance than wood. Vinyl frames are one of the most affordable frame options, along with being scratch-free, energy-efficient and flexible in their design capabilities.
- Energy-Efficiency & Noise Reduction Priorities: Do you want extra features with your window replacement? True energy efficiency can only be achieved if all the windows in a home are replaced. If you’re only replacing one window in your Tukwila, WA home at this time, buying an energy-efficient window can’t hurt, but it won’t make a significant difference unless you replace them all.
- Service Guarantee: Some things unexpectedly happen when replacing windows. Find the right partner who will make it easy to find a replacement if the replacement window frame gets damaged. Find a partner who makes it easy to repair your replacement glass if it sustains any damages during the installation process and who guarantees quality service at the right price point for you.
That’s where King County Window & Glass comes in.
How King County Window & Glass Can Help
Repairing and replacing windows in Tukwila, WA can be a complicated process, but it doesn’t have to be. Partner with King County Window & Glass to ensure all the right steps are taken to give you the vinyl windows you and your family deserve when you need a quick and effective replacement.
We offer a wide range of solutions for your window replacement needs, tailored to fit your budget and style of home. Broken glass and damaged windows are always concerning. Whether you’re dealing with safety issues or skyrocketing energy bills, we’ll get back to you quickly with a competitive quote.
With specialization in multiple window types from vinyl to fiberglass, we just need a little information and measurements to get your windows in Tukwila, Washington replaced in no time.
Are you considering repairing or replacing your windows? Ready to receive the best service at the best price from a team of experienced specialists? Skip doing it yourself, leave it to the local Tukwila professionals. King County Window & Glass can provide you with a solution. See what we can do for you and contact our experts to get started on your vinyl window replacements today.